REGISTER FOR THE INSTITUTE
MEET THE AUTHORS VIDEO
BOOKS & RESOURCES
Learn more about SIOP® training for your district cohort.Request Information
SIOP® Training for Teachers Virtual Institute
Cost-Effective • Schedule-Friendly • Evidence-Based
Upcoming Dates & Locations:See all dates & register
See The Agenda:
The Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP®) Training for Teachers virtual institute is a cost-effective and schedule-friendly way to learn about the scientifically validated SIOP® Model. It is a proven framework for teaching both academic content and language skills in ways that are more effective for English learners, and helps teachers plan and deliver lessons with all students' language needs in mind.
Participants will gain an in-depth understanding of how SIOP® works in content-area classrooms through live expert-led sessions, SIOP® classroom lessons on video, SIOP author videos, and a live author Q&A. It's a powerful new learning model for educators with limited time or budget for travel.
Why the SIOP Virtual Institute?
About the SIOP® Model
Based on years of research, the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP®) Model is a scientifically-validated framework for improving the academic achievement of English learners. Developed by Dr. Jana Echevarría, Dr. MaryEllen Vogt and Dr. Deborah Short, the SIOP® Model assists more than 450,000 educators in U.S. schools, providing administrators, specialists, coordinators and teachers with a practical, research-driven model of sheltered instruction.
About the SIOP® Virtual Institute
This 4-week institute consists of 11 sessions in which participants complete a series of assignments on their own schedule as well meeting as a virtual group to collaborate, discuss, and share information with their colleagues. The four live sessions are led by an expert in the topic, and one session is devoted to a question and answer session with the authors.
SIOP® Training for Teachers virtual institute participants will gain practical skills to collaborate, share and implement lessons that incorporate all eight components of the SIOP® Model in order to teach content while developing students' academic and social language.
By the end of the institute participants will be able to:
- Understand the SIOP® Model and its effectiveness with English learners and all students
- Identify learning and instructional strategies that are appropriate for English learners
- Understand and practice the eight components of the SIOP® Model
- Learn how the SIOP® Model can be incorporated into lesson planning
- Write content and language objectives for sheltered instruction lessons
- Identify ways to increase student interaction in the classroom
- Identify techniques to review content and assess student understanding
- Observe and evaluate sheltered instruction lessons
Who Should Attend
- School & District Administrators
- Coaches & Specialists
- Classroom Teachers (K-12)
- Staff Development Specialists
All SIOP® Training for Teachers Virtual Institute participants receive digital resources and an electronic copy of Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP Model from our best-selling The SIOP® Model Series to support their learning.